As winter hits Australia, the weather has turned gloomy and dreary and the incidence of depression and sadness seems to be abounding everywhere.
But, it doesn’t have to be that way! There are a few ways that you might be able to keep that fire burning through this cold season and still get a bit of a laugh and cheer back into your system! These are not fool-proof ways to lift your mood, but it has worked for me and a few others! So, let me tell you how you can lift your mood in 10 quick ways.
- Put some colour around you! There was a Ted talk I watched that showed by painting workplaces and classrooms with colour, lifted the mood of the children and workers and also increased productivity (for the workers) and decreased vandals (at the school!). Why do we throw confetti of multiple colours rather than one confetti? Because it makes us happy! Rainbows and colourful things tend to brighten up the room and atmosphere, whilst grey, black and white often dampen it.
- Cuddle something cute! Whether that’s a dog, cat, hamster or a baby! Their smile and cuteness will lift your spirit! Their playful innocence will sure turn every frown upside down! ( *only if you like kids and animals*)
- Listen to your favourite music! Have an upbeat and funky or inspiring music to get you lifted out of that depressed mood! No emo or sad breakup songs here, please!
- Watch some funny YouTubers! The great thing about YouTube is that it is free and there is some great content out there! Some recommended comedy acts/people that I personally follow are good include Lilly Singh ( she is the best! ), Domics, NigaHiga and The Wonderful world of Wengie! That laugh is priceless and healthy for your soul.. 🙂
- If you have access to Netflix or some other way to watch shows, watch a comedy show! Netflix I know has Ricky and Morty (SO FUNNY!!), Simpsons, I dunno what other shows… hmm Big Bang Theory!! No sad or crazy crime shows though please! No 13 reasons why!
- Go for a jog or some other exercise! It has been proven that inactivity can spur on depressed mood and by exercising increases your endorphins and acts like a natural anti-depressant for your mood! Give it a go! It’s free anyways!
- Spend time with people you love and cherish and form real connections with them…You will be so surprised, that the burden of those hidden feelings of sadness, struggles, and mental health illness that you don’t want anyone to know about, is lessened when you are open to sharing. You will be surprised at just about how many people have been in the same boat as you and that they also want someone to confide in. The above-mentioned YouTubers, Lilly, Ryan and Wengie, all had struggled in their teens and in childhood through bullying or depression. But, they overcame and you can overcome too.
- Do something good for someone else. This may seem counterproductive, but when you stop focusing on yourself and start focusing on someone else’s needs, you realise, oh maybe I am not the only one with problems. By helping others, you essentially are helping yourself too. The appreciation for YOU .. I can’t explain, is a feeling that you cannot buy. But, it is freely given, when you go out of the way to help someone that you do not need to. By volunteering, or helping an elderly neighbour pull in the bin, you are like that friendly neighbourhood superhero.
- Go to the mirror and just laugh at yourself for a good minute or two then do a silly dance up and down, and do it like no one’s watching. Then think of a happy memory and just bask in those happy memories and remember you have been happy and that you WILL be happy again. If you can’t remember a happy moment, go Youtube a funny cat video or read the cartoon section of the newspaper!!!!!! Remember this is just an off day or a small phase in your life that you WILL get over.. Positivity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + + +
- Hang out with positive people and try to avoid those who known to be quite negative and cynical about life. If you can’t meet them up, give them a call or a text. If you don’t have many friends like that, just hang out watching positive Youtube stars and idols and write down the attributes that you want to have eventually, you will get there too.
I hope that you can sincerely find some moments of happiness in your life, things may be looking bleak now, but the future will be brighter. I promise!
If you feel this depression has persistently lasted more than a day or two, please consider seeking professional medical advice and help. Remember, it is okay not to be okay and the strong have often become that way through overcoming their weaknesses.
Practice your Smile :)!
Question for you
:What do you do that makes you smile?
See you next post!
*Video now up*